Yamaha Synthetic Alto Saxophone Reeds
Design and Materials by Yamaha
Yamaha designed these synthetic reeds so that even a beginner will find them easy to play with a good sound, and with an appearance and texture similar to natural cane.
1) Material: Yamaha created a new formula based on natural fibrous cane and with a similar tone.
2) Texture: The simulated reed texture looks and feels like a normal cane reed.
3) Shape: The original shape with a stronger central rib gives these reeds a well-balanced playability throughout the instrument’s range.
4) Heat treatment: A special heat treating process leads to a deep tone and smooth sound production.
5) Engraved reed number: The reed strength is laser-engraved on the back of the reed, so it won’t fade or wear off. The Yamaha logo is also engraved on the inner surface, so you know it’s authentic.
Yamaha synthetic reeds have been tested for over 320 hours of playing time, equivalent to 8 months of real-world use*. Even after this extended time, there was no detectable change in stiffness or shape. With such a long lifespan, you’ll buy fewer reeds and spend less money in the long run.
* 2 hours per day, 20 days per month.
Safe and Easy to Clean
Yamaha synthetic reeds contain no toxic substances* and can be cleaned with soap and water or disinfected with mouthpiece cleaner or rubbing alcohol to keep them sanitary.
* Materials tested according to Japan’s Ministry of Health, Labour, and Welfare standards, and are fully compliant with Japanese, European, and American regulations.
Ready to Play
Unlike natural cane reeds that must be broken in and wetted with saliva or water before playing, Yamaha synthetic reeds are ready to play right out of the package with no seasoning or wetting needed. This makes them perfect for all sorts of situations where keeping your reed wet is difficult, like marching band, cold weather, or for doublers playing multiple instruments.
In addition, the packaging these reeds are shipped in is water resistant and won’t soften or tear with a wet reed, so can be reused as a convenient reed case.